Email I sent:
Hello,
Hello,
I am Bhagyashri Pandey, and I am a high school senior at the School for the Talented and Gifted in Dallas Downtown. I love all of IANT's events and love taking part in them. In fact, I emceed all day at "India Day" this year. Thank you again for the opportunity. I would love to attend this event on April 12th.
I also have a proposition. I have been doing a thesis on women empowerment and gender disparity for about a year now. I am going to Delhi, India this year through "Omprakash" to volunteer at "People for Parity." I am very passionate about this subject. I have a fun and exciting way to conduct the debates at this event. It will not take too long (maybe 25-30 minutes), but it is a good way to encourage discussion and action. I will also bring girls from my school to help out with the debates. I would make sure all the people at the event leave empowered.
Please look at my attachment below. It is a short summary of how I would conduct the debates. Please let me know how you feel about this idea.
Thank you.
Bhagyashri Pandey
The attachment I sent:
EMPOWER (RISE)
Realize
Identify
Speak
Execute
·
R(ealize):
There are never any problems unless we acknowledge them. Most problems, we
redirect or ignore. If the recipients (women) of the cause can live without the
aid and are fine with their current status, then there is no use in others
trying to help these recipients. Usually, we do not fight unless the matter is
personal. Make it personal. Bring the battlefield to you. Make it affect you.
Bring it home.
·
I(dentify):
Where is the problem? Look at the facts. Are we equal within our own gender?
Are we allowed the same liberties? Which situation do we address first? This is
the most important phase in empowerment: Where to start?
·
S(peak):
We are fond of this activity (speaking), but it falls weak where it is most
needed. To empower others and ourselves, we must speak about what we
identified. We must speak about our experiences. Discussion aids in empowering
because it gives the recipients a feeling of control. In the age of social
media, empowerment should become easier. Speak to millions. The more thought
you give it, the more it sinks in and invigorates. Discussion becomes a driving
force. You yourself will speed the process to execution.
·
E(xecute):
You have arrived at a “solution,” or you have found a method to address a
situation appropriately. Take a major role and focus on executing the idea all
the way through. This empowers you and the people around you. Always, stop and
take the time to pat yourself on the back. To get to the “E” in “RISE” itself
is an accomplishment.
No comments:
Post a Comment