This week's question is:
In what ways -- and for what reasons -- do explicit efforts to 'help the poor' often have unexpected consequences?
My observations:
Aaron Ausland: Taxonomy
I think I am part of Type 4, 5 and 6. I am going to learn and do "service learning" as well. I want to go with an open mind, create my own questions, and learn how to solve them through a long-term solution. I think my trip could be classified as a Type 5 as well. It is not as short, but it does share some similar beliefs. If made explicit by all parties: the volunteer, the sending organization, and the host community, the trip would be more than valuable. In the end, all parties will have been impacted positively. All the parties work together as a team, and I think I will be doing the same during my trip as well. I think it is also a Type 6. It is not exactly a community "tour," but the community controls it. Omprakash does not send us to go in, help a little, and then remove ourselves from the community. It makes us join the community, help the community, leave the community in a better condition, and leave the community leaders to take care of the community while we are gone. It immerses us into the community. Since the organizations we help have people working there who are part of the community, they can make sure the good work and progress continues. The community in the end profits. It is the most benign type. We involve ourselves and the people who live there to the greatest extent. I think the EdGE program is a little unique. It definitely touches on Type 4 and 6. However, it also promotes long-term volunteerism. It does not make us see the poor; it makes us work with them and live with them. It is a different approach to the same problem: a better approach.
Omprakash on Incentives
I researched a lot of "volunteer programs," and it just does not feel as fun. It does not leave any room to discover, to create a profile, to connect with other volunteers and previous volunteers, and especially does not allow you to talk to the directors and coordinators of the programs you want to volunteer with. Omprakash leaves some room to discover. You can browse through the programs all over the world. Also, the programs reply back really quickly. I think Omprakash is a good middleman. It does not interfere; it just promotes and pushes.
http://www.mulagofoundation.org/ideas/pwp/go-big-or-go-home-investing-scalable-solutions
No comments:
Post a Comment